The complexity of chocolate shines through in the various textures at play in this plated dessert, completed by the acidity of assorted citrus.
Makes 4 portions
Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 3 hours 20 minutes
dark chocolate terrine
• 100g dark chocolate, 55% or darker
• 40g butter
• 50g cream
• 15g sugar
• 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
• 5g flour
1. Place chocolate and butter together in a bowl. In a pot, add cream and sugar and bring to a boil. Slowly pour the mixture over the chocolate. Mix until well combined.
2. Slowly add the eggs, mixing well to incorporate. Sieve the flour into the mixture and mix well.
3. Transfer into baking tin, and steam bake at 160°C for 20 minutes.
4. Cool down the terrine and chill until needed.
white chocolate feuilletine
• 100g white chocolate
• 40g butter
• 40g feuilletine
1. Melt the white chocolate and butter in a bain marie.
2. When fully melted, remove from the water bath and add in the feuilletine. Mix well.
3. On a tray, spread the mixture into a thin layer. Refrigerate to set.
4. Break into smaller pieces. Set aside.
cocoa nib chip
• 100g egg white
• 10g cocoa powder
• 10g icing sugar
• 20g potato flour
• 5g cocoa nibs
1. Mix every ingredient together in a bowl, except the cocoa nibs.
2. With a hand blender, blend until it has a smooth texture.
3. Pour the mixture out onto a parchment-lined baking tray. Ensure that the layer is as thin as possible.
4. Sprinkle cocoa nibs on the top, and bake at 100°C for about 3 hours.
5. Break and store in an airtight container.
• 100g mascarpone
• 40g cream
• 20g icing sugar
• 2.5g vanilla essence
1. Mix all the ingredients together, until it has a smooth texture.
2. Transfer to a piping bag with a nozzle, and set aside in the refrigerator.
dark chocolate sauce
• 40g water
• 50g sugar
• 25g cream
• 5g glucose
• 20g dark cocoa powder
1. Bring water, sugar, cream and glucose to a boil in a small pot.
2. Slowly add in the cocoa powder and mix well until well incorporated.
3. Keep refrigerated until needed.
• fresh pomelo
• fresh grapefruit
• freeze dried oranges
• mint leaves
1. Start by placing the dark chocolate terrine on the center of the plate.
2. Make quenelles/dollops of the mascarpone cream and add to the plate.
3. Garnish with the broken pieces of white chocolate feuilletine and cocoa nib chip.
4. Garnish with the pulp of grapefruit, pomelo and freeze dried oranges. Add a few mint leaves.