Shelley Tai at Nutmeg & Clove puts a tropical spin on the Paloma, for an ideal hot weather thirst-quencher
The Paloma is a Mexican tequila based cocktail using lime juice and grapefruitflavoured soda. Tai levels up the drink with not just fresh grapefruit juice (as the usual canned grapefruit sodas tend to be too sweet) but coconut water for a tropical touch, as well as gently carbonated water which makes you drink more, according to her. Bartender tip: Fruity shrubs are also an ideal way to introduce acidity outside of using citrus.
• 30ml Tequila blanco
• 20ml pineapple shrub
• 60ml grapefruit and coconut soda
• grapefruit peel, for garnish
• Build tequila blanco and pineapple shrub into a highball glass with ice
• Top up with grapefruit and coconut soda
• Stir gently to mix
• Garnish with fresh grapefruit peel
FOR GRAPEFRUIT AND COCONUT SODA
• In a 1L soda siphon, combine 600ml grapefruit juice (pulp strained) and 300ml coconut water.
• Charge with one soda charger. Store in fridge FOR
• Combine 100g pineapple juice with 100g sugar and 100g vinegar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.